When you start to consider Application Performance Management (APM) solutions, you have specific pain points or challenges that you need to overcome. Don’t forget about those initial challenges as you go through the steps of assessing solutions. Developers want their apps to work faster, but why? Capacity managers want to alleviate bottlenecks and optimize their existing infrastructure resources, but why? Let’s look at some of the real benefits to the business, factors that will help your management team understand the bottom line need for a big data APM solution — and ultimately agree to the spend.
This is the biggest, most obvious business benefit to any infrastructure monitoring solution, and one that every line of business leader understands. The availability and performance of critical applications — booking, ecommerce, service and communications platforms — can have significant impact on revenue. To meet SLAs, infrastructure managers need to mitigate outages that can result in lost revenue and customers. When evaluating APM solutions, make sure that you choose a solution that provides all the features you need to maintain expected levels of availability, ensure efficient troubleshooting, and accurately plan for growth.
- Maintaining available and performant clusters requires an understanding of dozens of performance metrics and tuning parameters. Pepperdata continuously collects extensive unique data—that nobody else collects—about your hosts, queues, users, applications and all relevant resources, providing you with a 360° view that enables you to quickly diagnose revenue-impacting performance issues and make resource decisions based on user priorities and needs.
End User Satisfaction.
It’s difficult to know if you’re satisfying end users or customers because they may never tell you — they just go away. External users (customers) give up and go to your competition, and internal users go around you, eliminating your control. An effective APM solution provides the deep visibility and performance insight you need to ensure productivity and satisfaction, keeping users happy so they don’t go away.
- To continually ensure user satisfaction, Pepperdata generates targeted recommendations to improve application performance, highlights applications that require attention, automatically identifies bottlenecks, and alerts on duration (missed SLAs), failure conditions, and resource usage.
A highly performant infrastructure directly correlates to improved developer and IT staff productivity. An effective APM solution provides you with all the necessary data to make infrastructure changes that are necessary to help IT staff support more developers. Recommendations and alerts enable you to adjust configuration settings before these users are negatively impacted. Everyone is simply more productive when the infrastructure is finely tuned and running well.
- With its vast collection of real-time metrics, Pepperdata allows you to create custom alerts and queries and filter and compare by different dimensions (application name, queue, host name etc.) to quickly identify which app is causing a problem so you can meet end user needs and improve developer productivity.
Reduced Operational Costs.
The right APM solution enables you to continuously tune the infrastructure to meet business needs by minimizing the risk of poor performance and identifying inefficiencies that would otherwise increase costs. In addition to problem prevention, effective APM helps you more accurately plan for growth and avoid overspending.
- Pepperdata enables you to Increase capacity utilization by 30-50% without adding hardware. Pepperdata also generates comprehensive planning reports containing real-time and historical data about the cluster so you can plan capacity for predictable performance. Use these reports to identify wasteful system resource usage to attribute accurate costs to users and business units.
When applications and the platform are running well, there are fewer fire drills which frees up time to spend on delivering new innovations that support business growth. Your APM solution should drive collaboration, which results in faster problem resolution and increased confidence in application and feature rollouts.
- Pepperdata gives developers the tools they need to build and deploy high performance applications, and it gives capacity and infrastructure managers the tools they need to manage those applications and the platform, fostering effective communication and tight collaboration.
Pepperdata – APM for Big Data Success
Managing multi-tenant big data clusters is complex. Pepperdata partners with you to deliver predictable performance, empowered users, managed costs and managed growth. Pepperdata continuously collects extensive data on over 350 real-time metrics from all of your applications and infrastructure resources — metrics about CPU, RAM, disk I/O, HDFS, and many others for every job, task, user, host, workflow, and queue. This breadth of data — not available with any other tool — empowers you to understand and improve application performance, reduce mean time to problem resolution and increase capacity utilization by 30-50% without adding new hardware. In addition to surfacing performance bottlenecks, Pepperdata also provides automatic tuning for recurring applications, delivers app-specific recommendations and allows users to set up alerts on specific behaviors and outcomes to avoid the risk of failure.
For more information on how Pepperdata can help you optimize application and platform performance, watch one of our technical webinars or request a trial.