Digital transformation is increasingly important in today’s healthcare environment. Providers can augment and correlate their own ever-growing patient data with an abundance of publicly available information, including social media, research and IoT connected sensors, to derive extremely valuable insights. They must leverage all of this data with predictive analytics and digital technology platforms to deliver the best possible care, overcome staffing shortages, minimize wait times, and reduce emergency room readmissions. At a time when healthcare costs are rising so swiftly, providers and hospitals can’t afford to mismanage resources.
However, with the onslaught of new data and applications associated with digital transformation come even bigger critical requirements. Healthcare organizations are faced with many challenges that include:, some of which are:
- Selecting the best hardware and software to build a solid, reliable infrastructure to ensure uptime for these life-saving applications and enable users to access data and insights quickly and easily.
- Squeezing the most out of their resource capacity to keep costs down.
Accurately forecasting capacity needs to effectively scale and meet demand while managing costs.
- Having the ability to test what-if scenarios to ensure applications are going to continue meeting SLAs.
- And more.
With proven expertise in healthcare, Pepperdata helps healthcare organizations overcome all these challenges as they embark on their digital transformation path. Philips Wellcentive is a great example.
Philips Wellcentive processes data on a daily basis for over 35 million patients for 60,000 managed care populations to deliver information to providers, health systems, employers, and payers. Care managers also use the Philips Wellcentive platform to continually assess the quality of care for patients and determine their qualification for certain programs and services.
The company was running a large application every day to process and analyze medical records for their entire patient population, providing analytics on thousands of patient metrics to deliver better services. It originally took eight hours a day and significant resources to support, and the continual influx of data presented a reliability challenge. Additionally, the approach created a large amount of temporary data, which overloaded the cluster and led to jobs failing and SLAs being missed.
Philips Wellcentive deployed Pepperdata Platform Spotlight and Capacity Optimizer, fixing the root cause of the critical performance issue within days of the install. Jobs completed on time and SLAs were met, allowing staff to return to more strategic initiatives.
Proven Experience and Expertise
Pepperdata continuously monitors hundreds of production Hadoop and Spark clusters, with over 30,000 nodes — that’s more than 550 million jobs and over 600 trillion data points annually. This vast amount of real-time data helps inform best practices and infrastructure tuning for all of our customers — especially healthcare organizations as they embark on digital transformation. Our big data application and infrastructure performance monitoring solution is key to ensuring uptime for these life-saving applications and infrastructures.
- Pepperdata continuously collects data about clusters, hosts, queues, users, applications and all relevant resources – unique data not available anywhere else. By exposing all of this data across the infrastructure and applications, Pepperdata allows operators to create alerts that quickly identify applications at risk of missing their SLAs. With Pepperdata Platform Spotlight, organizations can quickly pinpoint root causes, identify resource contention causing problems for users, alert on rogue users and make resource decisions based on user priorities and needs.
- Our unique data provides a holistic view of operational and performance truth across the cluster, and operators can drill down into our dashboard to analyze any application in detail.
- Pepperdata Capacity Optimizer leverages AI to automatically tune cluster resources and recapture wasted capacity. Our enterprise customers typically achieve a 30-50% increase in throughput performance when Capacity Optimizer is enabled. (If you’re asking, doesn’t YARN already do this, check this video out.)
Actionable reporting and recommendations help operators rightsize containers, queues and other resources. Pepperdata provides recommendations for queue and container sizing and helps identify growth trends across resource groups to ensure infrastructure efficiency and performance.
For More Information
- Read the Philips Wellcentive Case Study.
- Read our blog, Possibilities for Big Data in Healthcare are Endless.